Museo de Arte (The Juarez Museum of Art)
Run by the National Institute of
Fine Arts, this museum is located in the Plaza de Las Americas area. The
concrete circular, central building with fiberglass, domed roof is surrounded
by a moat and connected by bridges to the two other exhibit areas. There is a
total of 1000 square meters of viewing space with exhibits that changer every
two months. Open Tuesday thru Sunday from 11am - 7pm. It's closed on Mondays
and the admission charge is $0.75. The receptionist possibly speaks English
and can answer most questions. Located at Av. Lincoln at Av. Ignacio Mejia.
Museo de Historico de Ciudad Juarez
(Juarez Museum of History)
Located in the Ex-Aduana (former
Customs House) building in downtown Juarez, this museum chronicles the history
of Juarez and the state of Chihuahua. Featuring permanent and visiting exhibits,
there is much to see about the history of the area from prehistoric times to
the 20th Century. The Mexican Revolution and the exploits of Pancho Villa are
prominent parts in the displays. All exhibits are in Spanish. Located at Av.
Juarez and Av. 16th de Septiembre. Free admission and is open Tuesday thru Sunday
from 10am - 6pm.
Museo de Antropoligia (Museum of
Located in Parque del Chamizal
(Chamizal Park), this museum typically displays anthropological and
archeological exhibits. On a recent visit, however, one found an exhibit
of Mexican movie posters. If one is driving across the Bridge of the Americas,
the park and museum may be worth a quick side trip. Open daily , free of charge.
The old city hall building is
located directly behind the Guadalupe Mission off Av. 16th de Septiembre.
The building houses some city offices, an art gallery, and thankfully, clean
restrooms. Outside one will find intricate stone and iron-work. Inside are
large murals painted on the side walls. If one goes to the mission or the
Cuauhtmoc Market, one may want to quickly drop by.
Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission
Nuestra Seņora de Guadalupe de El
Paso del Norte y los Mansos, was the first mission established in the area.
The present structure was completed in 1668. A joint effort of Mexican,
Mansos Indian, and Spanish labor, the church took six years to build. Today
it remains the oldest surviving church structure in the area. Next door, is
the Juarez Cathedral with its Neo-classical facade. There is a large iron
fence around the two churches with an open gate on the south side. Near
this gate, one can often find the mission's self-appointed tour guide, Angel.
Angel is an old man with salt and pepper hair, usually in a gray suit and
matching fedora, who patiently waits to give tours of both churches. He will
walk one through the old mission and cathedral and point out lots of very
interesting details. It is worth a substantial tip to retain his services.
This is an active parish, so one will find people inside praying and meditating,
reverence is expected. Located on Av. 16th de Septiembre, two blocks west of Av.
San Lorenzo Church
Located at Ave. San Lorenzo and Ave.
Valle de Juarez. The tradition holds that the small image of San Lorenzo
destined for the Guadalupe Mission "decided to stay." When the load became
so heavy the cart would not move. The small image may be seen in a niche toward
the left inside the church. Restoration of the main building is 1959.
Chamizal Archeological Museum
Wander around pre-Colombian
reproductions and contemporary are in exhibition rooms and libraries. Watch
performances and cultural events.
Old Customs House Historical Museum
Situated at Ave. Juarez and Av. 16th
de Septiembre. It was occupied for many years by Customs Officials, and was an
important location during the Mexican Revolution. This is the place where the
treaty between Presidents Taft and Diaz was signed. Today, is is the Juarez
The mountains in Juarez are the northern
tip of the Sierra Madre chain. On the mountains you will see the following phrase:
"La Biblia es la verdad, LEELA." This translates: "The Bible is the truth, read it."